A seven month old Labrador puppy, Gypsy, is recovering from emergency surgery after swallowing a spoon. The Lab puppy helped herself to the teaspoon that had been left on a kitchen counter by her owner.
“I can laugh about it now but I was a bit concerned at the time because a puppy having to go through that kind of operation is always a risk,” said her 64 year old owner, Diane Harman, of Patrington. She had got out of bed to check her six dogs and made a cup of tea before returning to bed. When she came downstairs a second time she realized what had happened.
“The pot in which I kept all the teabags had been tipped over, so I thought at first she had eaten a teabag. “It was then I noticed the spoon was missing from the pot. I do get the odd senior moments, but I knew it was in there before. “I looked everywhere for it, under the bed, in the dish washing bowl, outside and in Gypsy’s bed.
“Gypsy seemed fine, but I began to wonder whether she could have swallowed it.”
Diane had a vet’s appointment for one of her other dogs at Kingston Vets surgery in Hull. She took the Labrador puppy with her and had Gypsy checked out at the same time.
An X-ray confirmed the presence of the spoon and Gypsy has emergency surgery to remove it. “The vet joked that he had heard of the saying ‘born with a silver spoon in their mouth’ but not going the other way,” said Diane.
Vet David Robinson, who performed the operation, said: “The spoon had worked its way through her stomach and into her intestines.
“If we had not operated straight away, there would have been a high risk of it perforating the intestine, which could have been fatal.
You really have to be super careful when there’s a Labrador puppy in the house. They’re inquisitive by nature and will literally put anything in their mouths.
Article Source: Hull Daily Mail