Home Labrador News Two-Year Old Golden Retriever Put Down After Eating Sugar-Free Gum Containing Xylitol!

Two-Year Old Golden Retriever Put Down After Eating Sugar-Free Gum Containing Xylitol!

252
0

Two-Year Old Golden Retriever Put Down After Eating Sugar-Free Gum Containing Xylitol!Labrador owners beware! Xylitol causes liver failure in dogs!

A 2-year-old Golden Retriever, was put down this week after eating sugar-free gum containing Xylitol!

The Golden Retriever got into an open pack of Ice Breakers sugarless gum Monday night and ate the entire contents. One day later, the dog was euthanized due to the severe liver damage.

“She was like our first child,” The dog’s owner, Samantha Caress of Glenwood City, Wisc., told KARE.

Luna discovered the gum whileSamantha and her boyfriendwere out. The pup was seriously ill on Tuesday morning, and the couple rushed her to an animal emergency hospital.

A few hours later, Samantha was advised that that veterinary care to attempt to save her beloved Luna would be $20,000, and there was only a 25% chance of success. The couple could not afford to try.

Caress said, crying. “We just didn’t want her to suffer, so we had to put her down.”

Xylitol Is Extremely Toxic for Dogs

Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener, is highly toxic for dogs. If ingested, even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia and liver failure. It is a common ingredient in sugarless gum — as well as sugar-free candy and baked goods, along with cough drops, vitamins, toothpaste, dental floss and other common household products.

“As little as a couple of pieces of gum can result in severe hypoglycemia, a life-threatening drop in blood sugar and actually liver failure,” Dr. Justine Lee, of the Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota, told KARE.

[box]Read: Is Marijuana For Dogs The Answer To Arthritic And Age-Related Pain?[/box]

Dr. Lee advised pet parents to add contact information for their veterinarian and ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control (888-426-4435) to their phones in case of an emergency.

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, staggering and seizures. These symptoms may only become apparent hours after ingestion, at which time it’s probably too late.

If your dog eats anything containing Xylitol, get to the vet immediately!

Here’s a video about a similar case where luckily the dog survived!

 

Source: Austin360