Home Labrador News Labrador Puppy Who Helped Child Speak For The First Time Recovering After...

Labrador Puppy Who Helped Child Speak For The First Time Recovering After Eating Glove

149
0

A Labrador puppy who helped a girl speak for the first time almost died after swallowing a huge glove.

Michelle Chapman got Rolo for her daughter Maisie. The seven year-old girl was born with dyspraxia, and the problems with her muscles make it difficult for her to communicate.

Labrador Puppy Who Help Child Speak For The First Time Recovering After Eating Glove 1

Hoping to build her confidence, Michelle got Maisie the Labrador pup and the pair hit it off instantly.

“Within a week she had said his name and she just dotes on him, she sits and babbles with him,” Michelle said. “The first week after we got him she came downstairs and started to say his name, having Rolo has really boosted her confidence and makes her feel that there is something that is just for her.”

But an unfortunate event happened last month. Rolo showed signs of being ill. The chocolate Labrador puppy wouldn’t touch his food.

“He went downhill and wasn’t eating at all. He’s only a puppy and we knew something wasn’t right,” Michelle said.

Labrador Puppy Who Help Child Speak For The First Time Recovering After Eating Glove 2

The family took Rolo to Vets4Pets in Buckingham, where veterinarian Maggie Doherty performed diagnostics.

An x-ray and an ultrasound scan showed that Rolo had swallowed something that had lodged in his intestine.

Read: Buddy Dog Teaches Autistic Child How To Love

Dr. Doherty had to act quickly, and performed a life-saving laparotomy on Rolo.

The vet and the family were surprised to discover what was causing the blockage:it was a woolen glove.

Where Rolo got the glove remains a mystery, but it does now matter. Rolo is now happily back at home with Michelle, Maisie and her brothers Cole and Sam.

Labrador Puppy Who Help Child Speak For The First Time Recovering After Eating Glove 3

“Maisie was so worried while Rolo was in the vets, but thankfully he is now getting back to his normal self. He has a special diet which will help his intestine to recover, but he is getting better every day,” Michelle said. “We didn’t recognize the glove, and I couldn’t believe it when the vet said what it was, we think he must have picked it up when he was off the lead on his walk.

“But Vets4Pets were absolutely fantastic, and took care of everything, including dealing with the insurance company. It is so important to get your pet insured, if we hadn’t the treatment would have cost us around £2,000.”

Read: Labrador-Golden Retriever Service Dog Saves Suicidal Autistic Boy

Rolo’s case was so inspiring and odd that Vets4Pets made the Labrador puppy their national Pet of The Month.

“Rolo is such an interesting case from both the perspective of the skills of our surgical team, and the very important part that Rolo plays in his family life,” a spokesman said. “The Chapman family were delighted that Rolo’s life was saved and Vets4Pets Buckingham were honored to have been there for the family every step of the way.”

 

Image and article source: Bucks Herald