Home Labrador News Labrador Guide Dog Saves Visually-Impaired Owner And His Grandson From Deadly Fumes

Labrador Guide Dog Saves Visually-Impaired Owner And His Grandson From Deadly Fumes

301
0

In Hartlepool, England, a Labrador guide dog saved a visually-impaired grandfather and his grandson from deadly fumes leaking out of a faulty fridge.

Iain, a Labrador mix, began barking when the kitchen filled with gas. This alerted Paul Whiting and six-year-old grandson, Leon. When Whiting went downstairs to the kitchen he immediately felt a burning sensation in his eyes.

Labrador Guide Dog Saves Visually-Impaired Owner And His Grandson From Deadly Fumes

The 53-year-old was taken to hospital after inhaling the fumes, but Leon was unharmed.

“I knew something was wrong as guide dogs are discouraged from barking so it was very unusual for him to behave in this way,” Whiting said. “I went downstairs, opened the kitchen door and got the full whack of the fumes. Instantly my eyes were burning and my nose and throat started feeling sore, I couldn’t breathe.”

Whiting later discovered that a faulty compressor on their seven-year-old fridge has caused the potentially fatal fumes.

A spokesman for Guide Dogs For The Blind, the group that trained Iain, described the Labrador’s heroism as “truly amazing”.

Read: Blind Man Conquers Colorado Trail With Only Labrador Guide Dog’s Help

“Iain certainly went above and beyond the call of duty,” the spokesman added.

“If it hadn’t been for him it would have been terrible,” Whiting said. “Basically, he saved our lives. He really is my hero, as well as my best friend, and we will always be eternally grateful to him.”

Iain has been helping Whiting go about his daily life for four years. The Labrador mix is the third guide dog he has had since his eyesight deteriorated in his early 20s.

Way to go, Iain!

 

Image: SWNS
Source: ITV