A UK couple felt forced to spend $38,000 dog-proofing their kitchen because their Labrador dog ate everything in sight!
Rollo, a 9-year-old chocolate Labrador eats everything he finds. In the past the dog has gobbled up a whole pack of yogurts, a box of cigarettes, and jars of mincemeat – including the glass.
“Rollo is like the terminator – he’ll eat absolutely everything!” owner Sue Kirk said. “He can even get the lids off things – he’ll peel the lid off of a yogurt before he eats it.”
The Labrador has such a voracious appetite that he devours everything he lays his eyes on. The pooch taught himself to open the kitchen’s cupboards, drawers and fridge.
Sue even found the Lab going through the dishwasher after he figured out how to break in there too.
“I joke that he’s my pre-rinse cycle on the dishwasher – every time I open the door to put something in it, his head is straight inside, licking whatever plates he can find,” Sue shares. “In our old kitchen, Rollo had learned how to open all of the cupboard doors and could get in to munch away at his heart’s content.”
After Rollo stole and ate everything from Christmas cakes to the visiting builders’ lunches, she and her partner Stewart Maher decided it was time to find a permanent solution.They’ve since installed a new dog-proof kitchen.
“We’ve had a completely new kitchen extension, and everything was specially designed to stop Rollo getting his paws on the food!” Sue said. “We can’t stop him getting at everything – he still manages to pull apples off the tree outside – but the new kitchen has helped.”
Now, all the cupboards have handles Rollo cannot open, and the fridge is equipped with high pull-handles that have so far proved successful in stopping the binge-eating Labrador from getting inside.
Rollo is always on the hunt for food, so Sue still had to do something about take the Lab’s food crusade outside. She blocked the entrance to the greenhouse with a child safety gate to stop him breaking in and eating her home-grown vegetables.
The Lab had gobbled up 12 cauliflowers from the garden – which Sue and Stuart only realized when they went out to pick them for Sunday lunch, and found only crumbs remaining.
Sue and Stewart welcomed the always-hungry but lovable dog six years ago. They adopted Rollo from the Labrador Lifeline Trust when he was only three years-old. Now, the chocolate Lab lives with his new parents and another Labrador brother and two guinea pigs.
Rollo had already been ditched three times for the same reason – the owners couldn’t handle his constant binging.
“The only things he doesn’t really like are onions and celery – but anything else is fair game. He loves apples, they’re his favorite – he’ll do anything for an apple,” Sue said.
In fact, they have an apple tree in the garden but they never get to enjoy any apples themselves.
“There’s never any for us to eat because he stands up on his back legs and shakes the tree until the apples fall down,” she shares. “He used to pick them for Oscar when he was a puppy – they’re both as bad as each other, they’re double trouble.”
Rollo is one smart Labrador, and when it comes to food there’s no stopping him.
“He’s even bounded up onto the trampoline and bounced up and down to get at the apples!We’ve got Rollo-proof bins to stop him from rummaging, and we’ve had to put a chain on the door as he’s learnt to open them,” the amused owner said. “We’ve got a stairgate on the greenhouse, but he’ll body-bash it to get at the tomatoes.Once he even undid Stewart’s briefcase and ate his lunch out of his lunch box. He’s constantly on the hunt for food!”
Rollo’s unbelievable appetite has even caused him health troubles.
“We’ve spent thousands over the years on vet’s bills too, after he’s eaten everything from glass to rat poison, but he’s worth every penny,” Sue said.
The food-loving pooch has painful hip and knee issues, but this doesn’t stop him jumping up on tables and kitchen counters to steal food. The Labrador had a plate put in it after damaging a ligament, but his body rejected it so it was later removed.
The Labrador once wolfed down five Christmas cakes that had been left out to cool – and then promptly regurgitated them.
Perhaps the scariest of all was when the pooch got struck into the rat poison. Sue called the emergency vet who suggested vitamin K as an antidote. Rollo survived after Sue fed him eight bags of spinach.
“We do worry ourselves sick about him.He will go to any lengths to get food,” Sue said. “He causes absolute mayhem – but we love him to pieces.”
Source: Mail Online