How to Induce Vomiting in Dogs

Labradors are notorious gobblers and given a chance; they would eat anything – even the ones that are harmful to them. Because of this, it is good to know how to induce vomiting in dogs.

There are a lot of threats lurking in your home: medications, cleaning products, poisonous plants, fertilizer, pesticides, and even human foods such as grapes, currants, raisins, chocolate, coffee, xylitol and other “sugarless” foods, and more. Depending on the amount and item consumed, the first line of treatment is to get that object or substance out of your Labrador’s body before it can cause severe damage.

If you think your Labrador has eaten something he should not, do not try to induce vomiting immediately. In some cases, vomiting will only make the situation worse. The first thing you must do is call your veterinarian, but if he or she is not available, you may call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-213-6680 or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

Read: Christmas Food And Items That Are Harmful For Your Dog

When NOT to induce vomiting in dogs

Never try to induce vomiting in dogs if the toxin or product consumed is one of the following:

  • Oven cleaners,
  • Lime removal products,
  • Drain openers,
  • Batteries,
  • Other corrosive products,
  • Kerosene,
  • Motor Oil,
  • Gasoline,
  • And other petroleum products.

The reason is corrosive chemicals such as oven cleaners and drain openers can cause damage to the esophagus if vomitingis induced. On the other hand, oily substances can get easily inhaled into the lungs, which may cause severe aspiration pneumonia.

Never induce vomiting in dogs who are unconscious. Also, do not induce vomiting in dogs who are in having breathing difficulties, seizures, convulsions, or is in shock. Do not try to make a dog who has a very slow heart rate vomit. Never try it on dogs who ate pointed or sharp objects or when the poison container says not to.

Read: Thanksgiving Foods Your Dog Can And Cannot Eat!

When to Induce Vomiting with Dogs

It is recommended to induce vomiting in dogs at home only in the following situations:

  • If the substance or food ingested was poisonous for your dog,
  • If your Labrador ingested the object or substance recently, like less than an hour ago,
  • If you are sure that your Labrador has consumed the poisonous substance but is not showing any signs of poisoning yet,
  • If your Labrador is healthy and does not currently have respiratory problems such as abnormal esophagus or megaesophagus, laryngeal paralysis, etc.

Things You Will Need to Induce Vomiting in Dogs

To induce vomiting in dogs, you will need the following items:

  • Weighing scale,
  • A large syringe without the needle,
  • 3% Hydrogen Peroxide,
  • Gloves,
  • Paper towels.

How to Induce Vomiting in Dogs

If your Labrador has not eaten within the last 2 hours, it’s better to give a small meal first. Before giving your Labrador the hydrogen peroxide, you must know how much he weighs.

Generally you can give your Labrador 5 ml (or 1 teaspoon) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide per 10 pounds of his body weight. You may do using a syringe. Do note that you can only give a dog up to 45 ml of hydrogen peroxide at maximum.Using a needleless syringe, squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of your Labrador’s mouth.If your Labrador does not vomit in 15 minutes. You may try one more time again.

 

Reminders Before Trying to Induce Vomiting in Dogs

There are different concentrations of Hydrogen Peroxide available in the market, but you must only use the 3% one to induce vomiting in dogs. Also, Hydrogen Peroxide will flatten as it gets old. That means a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide that has already been opened can lose its effectiveness for inducing vomiting. That’s why it will greatly help if you always keep an unopened bottle of one.

Trying to induce vomiting in dogs can be messy, so you should do it in a space that is easy to clean.

 

What to Do Next?

Once your Labrador vomits, you now have the time to get him to a veterinarian. While your Labrador may have got out the harmful substance out of his body, an evaluation by the vet should assess if the substance has done any damage in the body. Depending on what your Labrador ingested, activated charcoal may be given to help bind the toxin or residual poison and flush it out of your Labrador’s body. Do not forget to show the item or a sample of the substance your Labrador ingested to the vet.

Comments

Leave a comment below:

Labrador Shirts

Let the world know you are a proud Lab parent with our variety of fun shirt designs.

Leave a Reply


Subscribe to our newsletter!

Keep your Labrador healthy and happy!

  • Never miss a post!
  • Regular tips and advice!
  • Awesome videos and images!